Cats is an upcoming feature film adaptation of the musical of the same name, based upon Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by TS Eliot. It is set to be released December 20th, 2019 . The film will be distributed by Universal Pictures.
Over a single night, a tribe of cats called the Jellicles make what is known as "the Jellicle choice" and decide which cat will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life.
The project is adapted by Lee Hall, with choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler  - originally announced to be Wayne McGregor who withdrew due to scheduling conflicts. Tom Hooper and Steven Spielberg act as producers for the film.
The project was first rumored in December 2013 in the Guardian , and more recently took hold in May 2016 by Variety , and little has been heard while the project has been in development. Both Anne Hathaway and Rihanna were considered for roles, but ultimately passed because of scheduling conflicts.
Hooper has cited "astonishing new technology to transform his cast members into a breathtaking, vivid new vision of one of the most beloved musicals of all time.” The set includes practical props, however, as referenced in a studio visit.  Jason Derulo stated that "'Cats' uses motion-capture and other technology will be like nothing viewers have seen before." Idris Elba confirmed in an interview that the cast would not be wearing traditional costumes, relying on CGI instead. 
Fiona Grace McDougal served as a vocal coach on set.
Rehearsals began in September 2018. Principal photography began on December 12, 2018, and wrapped March 2019.
The first official trailer for the film was released on July 18, 2019 at San Diego Comic Con to a passionate, largely negative response to the CGI appearance of the characters.  The costume / character design by Paco Delgado has been heavily criticised and memes have been made with references to the Sonic movie (one of the lines in the Sonic trailer is "uh.. Meow?" Saying that it was a warning for the trailer) and Mike Myer's 2003 film "The Cat in The Hat".
|Maitre D'||Cory English|
|Mouse Band||Jamal Ahmed|
|Mouse Band||Joel Swedensky|
|Mouse Band||Gregory Mann|
|Mouse Sister||Meesha Garbett|
|Mouse Sister||Harriet Turnbull|
|Macavity Girl||Hannah-Faith Marram|
|Macavity Girl||Sophie Carmen-Jones|
|Macavity Girl||Chelsea Hogg|
|Macavity Girl||Jade Albertsen|
|Jennyanydots Double||Leanne Jones|
|Chorus||Cogan de Abreu|
Unlike the stage show where the Cats Chorus are usually all named characters, it appears that the film includes a large un-named chorus. There are also cameos of children's roles for the "Mouse Band" and "Mouse Sisters", most likely during the Gumbie Cat's number, where Jennyanydots "Teaches them music, crocheting and tatting".
Auditions for an unnamed role took place in July 2018; possibly for the role of Victoria the White Cat. Further auditions called for a last-minute addition to the cast in November 2019, likely for an ensemble role.
- Judi Dench playing Old Deuteronomy mirrors Andrew Lloyd Webber's similar casting choice in Starlight Express. The role of Poppa, similarly the father figure whose deep, rich voice is integral to the score, has changed gender to Mama. This change is part of a massive overhaul of the show which has sparked controversy among many fans.
- The characters seem likely to be presented in a format that relies less on Computer Generated Imagery than initially speculated; the casting call requires strong dance skills, it seems likely that we will be seeing the performers' natural movements rather than Motion Capture, as this would not require the performers to both sing and dance.
- The recent productions have seen new material added - "Street Cat Tugger", and Gus leading "Pekes and Pollicles" for example. Lee Hall may be directed by Andrew Lloyd Webber to use the latest versions of the show; he may refer back to the more classic material; or he may have license to re-write fresh changes.
- Characters are being changed; or maybe more accurately, ensemble character names are being assigned to different roles, such as Zizi Strallen's Tantomile: "So I’m allowed to officially tell people now that I’ve been filming the @catsmovie for the last 5 months. Playing Tantomile. She’s quite different from the show, not a twin but a little cheeky, flirty kitten. Can’t wait for everyone to see it this christmas."
- Melissa Madden Gray discussing Griddlebone: "My role is Griddlebone, who is quite a mysterious cat because she appears in different ways from the West End Version to the Broadway version and in this film she appears in a different way altogether..."
- In 1991, Steven Spielberg had a concept of adapting Cats as an Animated Film. However, his animation division of Amblin Entertainment: Amblimation became defunct so instead a direct to video recording of the stage show was made in 1998, the Cats Film that is so familiar today. This movie could very well be the realization of Spielberg's original ideas.
- ↑ CATS The Movie Announced For 2019
Andrewlloydwebber.com News, 31/08/2018
- ↑ Andy Blankenbuehler will Choreograph Cats Film
Broadwayworld, 24th November 2018
- ↑ Cats musical may be next for film treatment, says Andrew Lloyd Webber
The Guardian, 3rd December 2013
- ↑ Tom Hooper to Direct ‘Cats’ Movie for Universal
Variety.com, 5th May 2016
- ↑ Andrew Lloyd Webber Pens New Song for Possible Cats Film
Playbill.com, 5th January 2018
- ↑ So fun to visit
#CatsMovie set today. Absolutely incredible set and choreography. Like being in the land of giants. Photos strictly prohibited . You’ll just have to wait for the trailer.
@Tricycletalent, Twitter, 20th March 2019
- ↑ Everything We Know About the 'Cats' Movie
thrillist.com, 15th March 2019
- ↑ "One night. One chance. Watch the #CatsMovie trailer now."
@universaluk on Twitter, 18th July 2019
- ↑ Cats movie trailer: internet reacts in horror to 'demented dream ballet'
The Guardian, 19th July 2019
- ↑ FELINE CREEPY Cats movie trailer terrifies viewers with ‘creepy’ effects as Taylor Swift, James Corden and Judi Dench star in film remake
The Sun, 19th July 2019
- ↑ @ericunderwood Instagram 26th February 2019
- ↑ @blueyofficial Instagram 23th March 2019
- ↑ Universal/Working Title's feature adaption of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats rolls Cameras
Deadline.com December 2018
- ↑ ‘Cats’: Dancer Mette Towley Joins Cast Of Universal-Working Title Film
Deadline.com 26th September 2018
- ↑ @mettenarrative Instagram 20th July 2019
- ↑ @jaih_betote Instagram 29th March 2019
- ↑ @dannie_norman Instagram 26th March 2019
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 BWW Interview: MEOW MEOW & Thomas Lauderdale of PINK MARTINI Speak About Their New Album and Upcoming Show at the Crest Theatre
broadwayworld, 17th Mar 2019
- ↑ Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Swift, James Corden, Ian McKellen Will Star in Film Version of Cats
Playbill.com, 20th July 2018
- ↑ Ian McKellen promises King Lear is in no way a 'farewell tour'
EW.com 25th September 2018
- ↑ Rebel Wilson to play Jennyanydots in CATS
BroadwayWorld 19th November
- ↑ Idris Elba in Talks to Join Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, More in Cats Movie
Playbill.com 16th October 2018
- ↑ "Robbie Fairchild to Play Munkustrap in ‘Cats’ Movie Adaptation"
Variety.com, 29th November 2018
- ↑ Judi Dench Signs on for Cats Film
Playbill.com October 18th 2018
- ↑ @officiallestwins Instagram 29th March 2019
- ↑ Cats Movie finds its Rum Tum Tugger in Jason Derulo
Playbll.com 20th November 2018
- ↑ @jonadette_ Instagram 29th March 2019
- ↑ Steven McRae, Principal dancer, Royal Ballet, has announced his involvement in the film project.
Instagram Post, 8th November 2018
- ↑ @officiallestwins Instagram 29th March 2019
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 So I’m allowed to officially tell people now that I’ve been filming the catsmovie for the last 5 months. Playing Tantomile. She’s quite different from the show, not a twin but a little cheeky, flirty kitten. Can’t wait for everyone to see it this christmas.
Twitter, 23rd March 2019
- ↑ @frankiegoestohayward Instagram 2nd November 2018
- ↑ Royal Ballet Principal Francesca Hayward Joins CATS Film as Victoria!
Broadway World.com 1st November 2018
- ↑ Instagram Post, 28th March, Simon & How Associates
- ↑ Instagram post of full cast, 29th March 2019