The first Cats Broadway revival opened in summer 2016, produced by the Shubert Organization and the Nederlander Organization. Previews began on 14 July 2016 at the Neil Simon Theatre, and the show opened on 31 July.
The production closed on 30 December 2017, after a total of 593 performances and 16 previews. At the same time, a US Tour was announced to open in January 2019.
The show was developed from the 2014 London revival. Trevor Nunn, the original director, directed the revival, and the original designs of John Napier were used. Andy Blankenbuehler was brought in to re-choreograph the show. His new choreography is firmly rooted in Gillian Lynne's original work, though Gillian Lynne herself was not directly involved with the development of this production.
Many changes were made to Cats for the production, mainly modified/new choreography and slight lyric changes to songs. The Beetles' Tattoo section in "The Old Gumbie Cat" has been removed, replaced by the cats tap dancing wearing costumes of hubcaps and 'cleaning' the stage under her direction. "Growltiger's Last Stand" is completely removed, with Gus performing "The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles" (moved to Act 2) as a re-imagined Rumpus Cat. This sequence is performed to suggest an acted out performance involving the tribe rather than a dream sequence like Growltiger. Some changes made previously for the London Palladium production, such as "Street Cat Tugger" and extended moments for Grizabella, were not carried over into this production. See HERE for more details on the changes.
The production's set is primarily made of elements of the London Palladium production, with the car registration plate NAP 70 (the same number as the Palladium set). The props and costumes were produced by the London-based makers of the Palladium/UK Tour costumes, rather than Parsons-Meares who made the original Broadway and US Tour costumes. The costume designs were similar to those used on the Palladium production, with certain costumes being further developed; for instance Jennyanydots' basic costume now echoes the spots on her featured Gumbie Cat costume. Tugger now has a new separate ensemble costume for Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats rather than wearing his Tugger unitard without the large mane. Bustopher Jones no longer carries an oversized spoon with him. Mistoffelees' light-up jacket was created by Enlighted Designs, creating an technologically advanced version of the classic costume.
The Broadway Revival used a combination of character names from the previous London and Broadway productions. Sillabub is used rather than Jemima, Plato rather than Admetus, and Tumblebrutus rather than Bill Bailey, as is tradition established by previous US productions. However, Carbucketty (spelled "Carbuckety") now existed alongside Pouncival, with the two being separate characters (the former using the London Carbucketty design, the latter using the George design). The ensemble identities during "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats" for Old Deuteronomy, Gus and Tugger were also named Victor, Peter, and Bill Bailey, respectively.
- Director: Trevor Nunn
- Choreographer: Andy Blankenbuehler
- Associate Director & Choreographer: Chrissie Cartwright (recreating Gillian Lynne's original choreography)
- Costume & Set Designer: John Napier
- Associate Costume Designer: Lisa Zinni
- Costume Supervisor: Tracy Stiles
- Wigs made by Jenny Dean and Charles Wright
- Make-up developed by Karen Dawson and Nancy Powell
- Associate Scenic Designer: Alan Walker
- Musical Supervisor/Director: Kristen Blodgette
- Lighting Designer: Natasha Katz
- Sound Designer: Mick Potter
- Projection Designer: Brad Peterson
See the Casting Call for this production.
|Later Cast||Final Cast|
21/02/2017 - 01/10/2017
17/01/2017 - 19/02/2017
|Asparagus /||Christopher Gurr|
|Bombalurina||Christine Cornish Smith
27/12/2016 - 29/01/2017
05/09/2017 - 12/11/2017
31/01/2017 - 06/08/2017;
|Tanner Ray Wilson
17/10/2016 - 25/12/2016
08/08/2017 - 03/09/2017
|Emily Grace Kersey|
|Coricopat||Corey John Snide (Dance Captain)
13/06/2017 - 12/11/2017;
14/11/2017 - 19/11/2017
20/12/2016 - 30/07/2017
15/11/2016 - 18/12/2016
|Electra||Lili Froehlich (Dance Captain)
11/10/2016 - 16/10/2016
|Jellylorum||Sara Jean Ford
|Sarah Jane Shanks
22/11/2016 - 10/09/2017
|Sara Jean Ford|
|Sarah Marie Jenkins|
|Zachary Daniel Jones|
|Munkustrap||Andy Huntington Jones|
|Old Deuteronomy||Quentin Earl Darrington
|Plato / Macavity||Daniel Gaymon
|Marc A. Heitzman|
04/12/2017 - 16/12/2017
13/06/2017 - 03/12/2017;
|Rum Tum Tugger||Tyler Hanes|
25/07/2017 - 01/10/2017
13/06/2017 - 23/07/2017;
21/03/2017 - 16/04/2017;
16/05/2017 - 28/05/2017
18/04/2017 - 14/05/2017;
|Swing (Booth)||Richard Todd Adams|
|Swing (Booth)||Aaron Albano
|Corey John Snide
13/06/2017 - 01/10/2017
|Swing (Booth)||Jessica Hendy|
|Swing (Booth)||Madison Mitchell
07/03/2017 - 09/07/2017;
20/12/2016 - 05/03/2017
11/07/2017 - 17/09/2017
|Swing (Booth)||Nathan Patrick Morgan|
|Swing (Booth)||Megan Ort|
|Swing (Booth)||Tug Watson
30/12/2016 - 10/01/2017;
03/10/2017 - 29/10/2017;
27/11/2017 - 16/12/2017
17/10/2016 - 19/03/2017;
18/04/2017 - 14/05/2017;
|Swing||Claire Camp (Dance Captain)
14/03/2017 - 26/03/2017
18/07/2017 - 06/08/2017
31/01/2017 - 01/10/2017
|Swing||Tanner Ray Wilson (Dance Captain)|
17/10/2016 - 06/08/2017;
Vlog series chronicling the Cats revival starring Tyler Hanes, for Broadway.com
- May 2016 Interview - Andy Blankenbuehler with Broadway Direct
- June 2016 Interview - Gillian Lynne about the Broadway Revival, The Stage
- Telegraph.co.uk - ***, not impressed with Leona Lewis but liked the rest.
- Variety.com - Very positive apart from Leona Lewis not being in the same league as Betty Buckley et al.
- Guardian.com - ***, Kitsch, dated... yet strangely adorable.
- NYTimes.com - Positive but critical of Leona Lewis.
- NBCNewyork.com - Complimentary to Leona Lewis.
- TheWrap.com - Dated, not updated enough.
- Hollywood Reporter.com - "Fans will lick it up", not very different to original.
Awards and Nominations
- Main article: Awards
- A special matinee performance was held on November 20, 2016, for alumni of the original Broadway production.
- The 2016 cast recorded a song "A Jellicle Christmas" for the 2016 Carols for a Cure album in benefit of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.
- Similarly, the 2017 cast recorded a song "Joy to the World" for the 2017 Carols for a Cure album.
|Broadway's Cats |
|Productions||Original (1982 - 2000): Cast • Gallery • Cast Recording • Score • Winter Garden Theatre|
|National Tours||US Tour #1 (1983 - 1987): Cast|
|Characters||Alonzo • Bombalurina • Bustopher Jones • Carbucketty • Cassandra • Coricopat • Demeter • Electra • Etcetera • Griddlebone • Grizabella • Growltiger • Gus • Jellylorum • Jennyanydots • Macavity • Mr. Mistoffelees • Mungojerrie • Munkustrap • Old Deuteronomy • Plato • Pouncival • Rum Tum Tugger • Rumpleteazer • Rumpus Cat • Skimbleshanks • Sillabub • Tantomile • Tumblebrutus • Victoria|